Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 - The Year in Athletic Pursuits

As I write this, I am currently still sitting in my sweatpants - and not because I am eager to pursue anything "sweat" related - and drinking my roughly fifth cup of coffee, as I let the day slowly unfold around me. I had plans to go for my first official run of 2014, and my first run since a short three miler at the beginning of December, but my laziness has taken hold of me on my day off and I haven't managed to work up the desire to go out in the cold, let alone change out of my pajamas. Instead, I would rather sit around watching various sporting events on television and justify to myself that by watching sports, I am indeed exercising. That first run of 2014 still may happen today - but it won't be long and it won't be pretty.

When the year 2012 turned into the year 2013, 365 days, 14 hours and 50 minutes ago, I promised myself that it would be full of adventure, full of fun and full of completing long-held goals. Contrary to popular belief, adventure doesn't have to be about world-travel or jumping out of airplanes - it can be as simple as embarking on a new job or career path, or setting lofty goals, or taking a calculated risk. With adventure comes some pretty spectacular highs, but also some pretty abysmal lows - that's what makes it worth it. I took some pretty big leaps in 2013, some of which worked out, some of which didn't and some of which are still in the process of unfolding.

Whether it was in my personal life, professional life or athletic pursuits, 2013 was an epic year. I celebrated my first wedding anniversary, I ran my first - and second - marathon, and qualified for Boston, I switched career paths and started a new job, I helped coach St. Anthony's Varsity Lacrosse team to a number four spot in the country and its' sixth straight Catholic League title, I joined the fire department, I qualified for the 2014 Age Group National Championships with five top ten finishes, I drank some really great beers, I trained hard, I PRed in a couple of different distances, I traveled, I relaxed, I gave myself time off, and, more importantly, I continued to grow as not just an athlete, but as a wife, a friend, a person.

Here's to 2013 and everything that it brought - the good things, the bad things and all the things in between. And here's to making 2014 - and everything that it brings to SJ and I - even better. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment