Monday, September 2, 2013

Weekly Wrap-Up: Summer Isn't Quite Over Yet

Happy Labor Day friends. I hope you haven't put away your summer clothes because it was a hot one today. 91% humidity here in the New York area - lovely. The fall beer collections might be out, but you'll be drinking those pumpkin ales while sitting in your underwear in your hot, humid apartment, sweating to the oldies. This is one of those weekends where your sweat is sweating. I'm watching the US Open right now, and Nadal has gone through roughly seven shirts in the two sets he has played thus far. He has a river of sweat running off his forehead that would make the Nile jealous.

Enough about that though, let's talk about me. I had a spectacular weekend filled with friends and fun, and a few hours of training thrown in for good measure. It was oppressively hot over the long weekend, which made for some not-so-great trainings, but they were done and afterwards, beers were consumed if for nothing other than rehydration purposes (or at least that's what I'm telling myself so that I feel better anyway).

After work on Saturday I had a great run over to see SJ at the club. If you remember correctly, I was supposed to do hill repeats, however, rather than the usual routine, I opted to do a mid-length run on "the hilliest route I could possibly find." Seeing as how I live on the north shore of Long Island, this isn't too hard. No, it's not the Alps, but we have some pretty reasonable hills that I was able to tackle. In the end, I did 10ish miles with some a pretty good elevation gain and felt strong on all the climbs. I averaged a little over an 8:05 mile, which, considering I wasn't trying to run at GMP and was running uphill for a good deal, even impressed myself.



Yesterday I rode down to Massapequa for a little BBQ action with friends. No, I literally "rode" down there. I'm not using that as a euphemism for "driving". I decided that, having slept until 10:30 in the morning and missing any chance of going for a ride before having to become a functioning member of society, I would do a point-to-point ride. It also helped that SJ was going to meet me down there and could bring me a change of clothes so that I wasn't stuck in smelly cycling kit, but it wouldn't have been the first time I was the smelly person at a party (I was a college athlete. I went to parties on more than one occasion having not showered after games and wearing sweatpants.)

I mapped out a route that I thought wouldn't get me killed on major roads and headed down to the south shore. I had absolutely zero goals on this ride other than "get there in one piece" which I am happy to report was successfully completed. I then proceeded to drink roughly 47 beers, two Magners and a glass of wine. I'm surprised I'm alive today.

Let's get down to the recap:

Number of Miles Ran: 34. I should have gone on a long run today, but due to several factors, a key one being that I woke up hungover in Massapequa with no running clothes and zero desire to go running. However, SJ and I did go to more than three different stores today, so if I include the miles that I walked around shopping for various household items, that number would probably be somewhere in the forties. Needless to say, my credit card sure did rack up the miles!

Number of Miles Biked:  47. Both of the rides I did this week were relatively easy and relatively flat (just like high school girls, schwing!).

Number of Yards Swam: 2900. My sole swim of the week was done on Thursday, but it was a good one so I'm gonna take it. This is only slightly less than the miles that Diana Nyad swam over the weekend. Makes my marathon training seem paltry in comparison.

Number of Magner's Ciders Shannon Drank Yesterday: 14. 

This week I am officially tapering for the Nation's Tri on Sunday. I have five workouts scheduled for the week, one of which is a track workout tomorrow and is the only really hard workout of the week. I also get my new bike shoes tomorrow (hopefully) so I plan on getting in at least two rides between now and Saturday to break them in and make sure they are set up properly, so stay tuned for the test runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment