Saturday, August 31, 2013

Labor Day Weekend Special Edition

You know that whole adage, "Don't try anything new on race day"? Well, seeing as how I like to live life on the edge, I choose to ignore this adage and think that I know better - mostly because I am awesome but also because I actually DO know everything. It's true - I have a master's degree in Library and Information Science. That right there should tell you all you need to know. Anyway, back to the point. I bought these bad boys this week:

Pearl Izumi Tri Fly IV

I know, I know. They are pretty bad ass. And I will stand out like Dorothy in Munchkinland. However, it is super close to my A race so I know that I am tempting the karmic gods by trying to break them in and race with them all by next Sunday. The way I see it, it can go one of two ways: exceptionally well or horrifically awful. Let's just go with a the glass half full version and say it's going to be great!

I have been slacking a bit this week, but I just keep telling myself that I am actually tapering so I shouldn't feel so guilty. After my long run on Wednesday, I was going to take Thursday off, but found myself with a few extra hours to kill before having to be anywhere, so I got in a phenomenal pool workout. I know! I even surprised myself! I have maybe been in the pool ten times this summer. Considering the swim is where I lose the most amount of time, you would think I would get myself there a few more times, but I can just never muster the effort on those mornings - and good luck trying to find the time to swim outside.

I picked out a workout with some decent mid-distance intervals and some speed thrown in at the end. Apparently, "they" recommend doing speed work in the beginning when you are freshest, however, I say bollocks to that. I don't get the benefit of "fresh" at the end of a race when I need the speed the most so screw your recommendations - I'm doing my speed work at the end.

Main set:

100 hard
100 pull
2x100 hard
200 pull
3x100 hard
300

2x50 sprint
200pull
4x50 sprint
200 pull
6x50 sprint
200 pull

1x25 sprint/1x25 EZ
2x25 sprint/1x25 EZ
3x25 sprint/1x25 EZ
Repeat

(To those of you who aren't swimmers and don't understand that, you can find an explanation on intervals  here.)

So, miraculously, I did this set and wasn't left feeling like I needed a nap. I actually felt inspired and like next week's swim won't suck nearly as bad as I was thinking it might (famous last words). Don't worry, I can't believe it either. 

I also had the last parade of parade season on Thursday night. SJ met me up at the fair afterwards, and seeing as how it was fireman's night and we all drank for free in uniform, I did just that. I mean, I felt like it would be rude if I didn't drink what they were offering, and I don't ever want to be rude. Also, I like a deal and free beer is pretty much the best deal in town, even if it is Bud Light. 


She doesn't even know how famous she is! Beer me!


Due to my alcoholic intake on Thursday evening, I opted for a rest day yesterday instead of the hill repeats I had planned. I had a long day at work and there were a few things that needed to be taken care of afterwards, like going to the beer distributor to order a new fall-inspired keg. However, lest you become worried that I am falling off my training plan, I did bring running clothes so that I can do them after work this afternoon. I wanted a new hill to run on anyway, so this is a forced change.

My shoes should be in by next Tuesday, so I'm hoping to get a few good rides in them next week. I also need to get my bike tuned up and ready to roll so there are quite a few things that need to be taken care of between now and next Sunday.

It's Labor Day weekend, friends - the official end of summer. I have a weekend jam-packed with activities - most of which involve beer and some of which involve training but all of which involve fun! I hope everyone else has a great weekend and enjoys every last bit of summer they can squeeze out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment