Thursday, August 1, 2013

Two-a-Days

Yesterday was a good training day. I was able to (finally) get in a double workout, which I haven't been able to do since before leaving for Chicago. It was a crazy busy week leading up to vacation and then obviously I wasn't having any of that while on vacation - I was lucky to squeeze in even one work out, let alone trying to bother with two. So now that this week is slightly calmer and I am settling back into the work routine, it's back to ye olde "training plan".

Got up and swam yesterday morning, getting in a quick 2300 before work started. The pool was crowded but I managed to work around the other swimmers and get what I needed to get done. I am used to swimming somewhere in the 3500-4500 range over the winter when it is my "off" season, so this whole 'get-in/get-out' thing is great.

I was able to get on my bike for what seemed like the first time in weeks, and looking back at my training log I realize that it has been exactly that - weeks. My last ride was something that I squeezed in before going to the fair on the Friday before the half. It barely scratched 18 miles - I'll do longer runs than that leading up to the NYCM.

That's the thing about riding - you really need to log over an hour and half to feel like you've gotten any sort of training in. Running for an hour is a great workout - biking for an hour is just exercise. SJ used to ride that long just getting into work from Queens when we lived there. I am not trying to knock anyone who rides their bike for an hour as exercise, it's just that I have specific training goals that require more time in the saddle than others. I'm sure professional bike riders would look at my measly two hour rides and call that simply "exercise" - it's all relative.

I headed out to Asharoken because I figured there would be less traffic out there then on any other route that I could pick at 5pm on a weekday and for my effort I was treated to some spectacular views of the Sound and Connecticut across the way. There wasn't a huge amount of wind to deal with in either direction and I was able to hit some nice hills, which is good since my next race is in West Point and contains a few wicked climbs.

I'm off for a hill workout again today, but this time using just my legs (although that makes no sense because it's not like I don't use my legs when I'm biking, but you get the point). Need to get in some repeats for speed training today to make me feel like I have accomplished something good running-wise this week.

Have a happy thirsty Thursday, everyone. Drink one for me if you go out tonight since I will be sitting in class learning about hazardous materials. I know, you wish you were me.

No comments:

Post a Comment