Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summer Run Series: Bobby Moe

Finally made it to another Summer Run Series event last night. I haven't been since the 5k in Bethpage State Park that I had to peace out right after for a meeting. We skipped one because it was a 4k and practically in Queens and then we missed one last week because we were having too much fun drinking our way through in Chicago.

Last night's run was at Robert Moses, otherwise known as Bobby Moe. Or at least that is the nickname I have made for it. I don't know if it's actually known as that to other people, but this is my blog so I can call it what I wish. Anywho - the run was fast and flat. I'm pretty sure the elevation never ticked an inch throughout the course, and if it did, it was a negligible amount. I clipped off an easy 1.3 miles before I even realized and hit the last turnaround at a respectable 17 and change.

I also did something that I rarely do on these runs - I paced myself. As you may or may not know, I do an AWFUL job at pacing. It's just something I never got the hang of, especially for these short SRS races. I usually just bomb it right from the beginning at then start to fade away towards the end. However, last night I was determined to find a pace and hold it for the entire 3.1. I settled on a 6:55 pace - which would get me in over my PR time but was just uncomfortable enough to manage (I did run a half marathon last week, y' know!). I crossed the line and looked at Alastair and alas! - 6:55 pace exactly! So hey, maybe I do have this whole "pacing" thing down after all!

Susan and SJ also had awesome runs (of the exercise variety - I don't really want to know about any other kinds) and both came in better than expected. Susan hasn't run since the big race last Sunday, so she wasn't sure how her legs would hold up, but the flat streets of the Bobby Moe Causeway turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. SJ broke 8:00 miles - a first for the summer - so she was super pumped as well.

Susan was also excited for the quantity and variety of post-race snacks that she was able to acquire, so all-in-all, it was a pretty successful night. I'm off today - but will resume back in full force tomorrow morning with a swim AND a bike ride.

Whoa - two-a-days, it's been a while, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment