Friday, July 5, 2013

First week

This week was supposed to start my first "official" marathon training week (thanks, Hal Higdon, for having not only great training programs, but putting them online for free!). I have chosen the "Advanced 1" level training program - not because I am an advanced marathon runner like the description says you should be, but mostly because the mileage is doable and it gives me speed work.

Naturally, since I am supposed to begin my training schedule, everything goes out the window and I'm lucky to even get in one of the runs that I am supposed to do. Between work and the Fire Department it's already like having two jobs, and then adding training to the mix, I'll be lucky to see my wife, let alone have any kind of social calendar. But so it goes.

Since yesterday was July 4th, I was given a rare day off and tried to use it in a somewhat productive manner. We had a parade in Eaton's Neck in the morning, so that put an early run out the window and I had BBQ plans in the evening, so there went an evening run. That left 1pm - smack in the middle of the hottest part of the day. Awesome.

As soon as I laced up my shoes I knew this was going to be an awful run. The heat and humidity were in full force and I was already sweating just waiting for my Garmin to calibrate. I don't know when exactly Long Island turned into Florida, but I would like just one day where I don't have to empty the dehumidifiers in my basement three times. Anyway, off I go on an easy two mile warm-up and slog through quarter mile hill repeats until finally returning home in a sweaty mess.

Is this really only day three of an 18 week plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment