Monday, July 8, 2013

Sunday Night Wrap-up - on a Monday

I woke up late for work detail at Headquarters this morning, which is never a good way to start a morning. You know that feeling when you wake up and just know that the day is shot before you even start it? Yeah, that was my day. I dragged myself out of bed, threw on essentially the same clothes I wore the night before and sped to headquarters to make my appearance. With only two weeks left before the fair, there is a ginormous amount of work left to do and as low-men on the totem pole, it falls to the Probies to do most of the grunt work and if I don't show up, it will be noticed. I have learned one thing in my short time in the fire department thus far, and that is: don't do anything stupid that will get you noticed for the wrong reasons. So hangover or not, I have to go.

After we scrubbed down tents in the baking hot sun and I felt like I wanted to vomit no less than four times, I was finally able to leave to go home and take a nap. My head was pounding and all I wanted to do was lay down - the ten mile run I am supposed to be running today looming over me. There's a heat advisory today and the humidity is hovering somewhere around 100% so there's no way I am running anytime soon as it is - so I want to sleep off this hangover and hopefully feel like a human sometime in the near future. Sarah is up and watching the Murry/Djokovic final at Wimbledon - excellent. I love watching other people workout, especially when I feel like crap.

I finally peel myself off the couch roughly 3 hours later, shower and get on with my day. By 6 it has finally cooled off dropped a degree or two, and after watching 2 hours of the Tour de France, I figure my ten miler isn't nearly as bad as climbing four Pyrenean mountains in one day. SJ has offered to run the first two miles with me, which I gladly accept - if only to force myself to actually do it. Nothing like an audience to force you into something you don't necessarily want to do. Thank you, peer pressure.

We get to mile two and she peels off for home - at least I know I'll have an amazing dinner cooked for me when I get done - and continue on. (One side note: I am not a new runner and ten miles, while not exactly a walk in the park, isn't exactly stretching myself either. But still, there is something about doing a ten miler and knowing that, nine or ten weeks later, you will have to double that in training that makes it all a bit bigger.) Anyways, I finish up about an hour later having sweated out somewhere in the area of 50 lbs. of water and take a walk around the block.

First long run under my belt. Check
First week of training under my belt. Double check.

Weekly Wrap-Up


Total running mileage: 16
Total biking mileage: 18
Total yardage: 2500


No comments:

Post a Comment