Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Day in Which Physical Exertion Should Be Kept to a Minimum

It's Thursday. The temperature in Huntington according to my Weather Channel app reads 97*, but feels like 104*. I'm starting to wonder if this heat wave is ever going to break, especially with tomorrows outlook at 95*/105*. Lucky for me I have the Chicago Rock 'N Roll Half on Sunday, which gives me a perfectly logical excuse to not do the 6 mile tempo run that I had on tap for this afternoon and instead do an easy 5 miler.

What's that you ask? How is running a 5 miler any different than a 6 miler? It's all in the lingo my friends, and a 6 mile tempo run in this weather just might kill me, whereas an easy fiver is just enough to break a sweat. (That is also somewhat not factual - most things will make me break a sweat without much effort. I'm actually sweating right now, sitting in the office - in air conditioning. It doesn't take much.) However, the point is that an easy five gives me the option to walk if necessary while a 6 mile tempo will require me to actual put forth some kind of intense effort for a portion of the time - and I would very much like to keep myself out of the hospital.

I was able to squeeze in a fast and flat 17 mile bike ride yesterday afternoon before heading to the fair ground. (That makes me sound like I am either, A) from the mid-1920s where fair grounds were common, or B) living the life of a secret carny worker. Rest assured, I am neither.) I was pretty pleased that I got it in considering the serious time crunch I was under. Spent the evening working the Dunk Tank - which I was fortunate enough to stay out of - and made it home somewhere around midnight. Two more nights of the carnival and we will be on our way to Chi-town for race day and - ironically enough  - relaxation.

Stay cool and hydrated friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment