Monday, July 29, 2013

Weekly Wrap-up: Firefighting, Running and Crawling

Big weekend here at Blood, Sweat and Beers. Let's start by recapping the events.

Friday - The weekend officially started with a roaring fire on Friday afternoon (that's me with the number 58 on the jacket in the orange helmet) that took a solid 2 hours to officially put out. Thankfully, only one person was injured - a minor burn on his arm - and everyone walked away okay. Greenlawn and Huntington Fire Departments were also on hand to help out in battling the fire and for overhaul and salvage, so thanks to those guys!

After the fire, I went home for an easy fiver that was anything but. My legs were absolutely exhausted. It was probably a combination of the half-marathon on Sunday (still using that excuse as long as I can!) plus all the walking we did around Chicago (estimated at roughly another half marathon) and then the fire on Friday afternoon. Needless to say, the roughly 9:00 pace I was struggling to keep  holding felt horrible. I chalked it up to a tiring week and moved on.

I actually had a Friday night to myself for a change and SJ came home and cooked an AH-mazing dinner of baked swordfish, potatoes and corn. Talk about a much-needed home cooked meal! After a few post-dinner bevies, it was time to hit the sack for an early rise-and-grind session.


Saturday - After a workout in the morning, Tammy and I hosted a successful pub crawl on Saturday afternoon, taking a big chunk out of our fundraising goals. We had a great turnout of friends, family and coworkers to help support our efforts by drinking - and boy did we drink a lot. By 7:30, when it officially "ended", there were quite a few of us that were on the verge of literally crawling. However, there were a few noble souls that stayed out to continue the festivities until later that evening before calling it a night.

Thanks to everyone who came out and supported our fundraising efforts. If you weren't able to make it but would still like to contribute to my fundraising campaign, click the link to the right! Nothing is too small. And fear not, we are planning another event that involves copious amounts of alcohol for October! This time we will be hitting up New York City for one epic event.


Sunday - Seeing as how I drank more beers on Saturday than miles I had run all week, I thought Sunday might be the day to rectify that. After FD duties in the morning and a solid, yet expensive trip to BJ's in the afternoon (it is pretty much impossible to go into that place and walk away without spending over $150. It's a fact - I have a master's in Library Science so I know what I'm talking about.), I was able to get my act together and head out for a LSD 8 miler. I shuffled myself on down to visit SJ at work and then rode her bike home - so I am also counting that as a brick workout for yesterday as well. Considering I haven't actually done a brick workout in weeks, I will take what I can get.

Post-run bevies were consumed and meat was grilled and an overall enjoyable Sunday evening was had by all parties. A great way to end a considerably long weekend.

Weekly Wrap-Up

This was a "step-back" week for me, training wise. It was supposed to be this week, but because of the Chicago Half and the vacation that was planned well prior to my training plan taking shape, I opted to switch the weeks so that I didn't stress about getting in my training while on vacay. So I'm not super bothered by the fact that I have consumed more alcoholic beverages in the past week than training miles - but hopefully this week will change that.

Total running mileage: 17
Total biking mileage: a whopping ZERO (I'm not actually counting the bike ride home as a ride)
Total yardage: 2300

Total miles walked around the city of Chicago: 17

Like I said, it was a slow training week, but this week will pick up the intensity so check back later this week for an update friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment