Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Note on "Insider Training". . .

There are only a few things in life that are worse than running on a treadmill, and one of those things happens to be using a bike trainer for indoor rides. I know, I know - you're probably thinking, "What about the state of our economy?". Or maybe, "What about starving children in Third World countries!?". Or even, "Global warming is ruining our planet!" (although I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who believe global warming is a myth, so perhaps that isn't the best choice). Yet, as much as I hate to say this, these thoughts rarely cross my mind on any given day - at least not in a way that actually disrupts the course of my daily routine. However, treadmills and bike trainers are two things I am confronted with far more often than I would like.

I admit it, treadmills and trainers are easy and convenient. When it's 105* outside with humidity hovering somewhere just around "tropical rain forest" (global warming?), who wouldn't like to be in an air conditioned gym with a cool breeze blowing on your face from your own personal mini-fan? Or when it's pouring rain to the point where building an Ark isn't too far out of the question and you have a 40 mile bike ride planned, why wouldn't you want to just throw your bike on the trainer and ride in the comfort - and dryness! - of your own home? Yes, yes, these are all valid points. But it doesn't take away from the fact that YOU ARE STAYING IN ONE PLACE FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION OF THE EXERCISE!

I mean, really. You want to take about feeling like a hamster, go try busting out a 10 mile run on the treadmill or biking 40k on the trainer. It's not exactly the most thrilling of activities. It's the means to an end, of course, but that's about it.

And yet, these were the two options I was forced to consider yesterday as I try to keep on track with my weekly training goals. Having already skipped the planned early morning swim Tuesday due to a late meeting Monday night, I couldn't slack off for a second day in a row and as I stared at the weather monitor on TV and the impeding thunder clouds looming overhead I knew I had a Sophie's Choice-type decision to make. (Okay, I realize that my choice wasn't nearly as dramatic as that, but all being equal, it was a choice I would have rather not have had to make. And for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, see here.)

I decide on the bike - it's the lesser of the two evils and I can do it at home, rather than in the gym. I literally work and work-out in the same place which, while convenient, leads me to want to spend as much time as possible working out elsewhere. I also realize that I can watch the DVRed time trial stage of the Tour de France from earlier today, which makes this somewhat slightly more bearable. It gives me a change of scenery and makes me feel like I'm riding in the Tour, just without all the blood doping and steroids. I get everything set up - bike trainer, fan, chair to put the TV remote on situated right next to my bike, water bottles - and go grab my bike.

Flat tire.

What? I rode last Friday and everything was fine. I decide it must be a slow leak somewhere and opt not to change it - I'm not going out on the road anyway - so I just pump it up and get going. I turn the TV on and hike up the volume (those trainers are effing loud) and press the DVR button.

No Tour de France.

What? I distinctly remember using the FiOS app to record this stage. It HAS to be on here. Still nothing. I run through all the troubleshooting - reset; manually reset; unplug and wait 30 seconds; reset again. Still nothing. At this point I'm cursing Verizon and their stupid cable service and mentally calculating how much it will cost to switch to Optimum or DIRECTV and it's only five minutes into what should be an hour trainer workout. This is going to suck.

With no Tour to get me through and nothing decent on TV - I slogged through another 20 minutes before finally giving up. There is only so much I can do staring at a blank TV screen, going absolutely nowhere before my adrenaline wanes and I pack it in.

Today will hopefully be better - it's raining off and on but my first track workout of marathon training is calling my name so weather be damned, I'm going outside. I got in an easy 2500 yards this morning in the pool and I'm itching to get a run in. And I have a feeling it'll be another couple of months before my bike trainer gets any love.

Happy Thursday - the weekend is almost here!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Kaitlyn. A good read, though I hope the attitude turns around some. Can't see one of my Ragnar partners acting all sad! Remember, you still should be basking in the glow of the Ravens Superbowl Win!

    ReplyDelete