Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Morning Wrap-Up: A Note to Future Self

Dear Future LSD Kaitlyn:

While it is nice to pick a new route on your long run days so as not to be bored with the same-old/same old, DO NOT pick a new route on a whim while you are running without first knowing the elevation pattern of the area in which you are running. This will only lead to an exhausting and absolutely glute-grueling workout on what is supposed to be your easy, long day. You will probably be coming off a tough week in which you did either hill repeats, track work, a brick and/or multiple of the above, so this will only make your legs feel like jelly.

Yours in training!

Present LSD Kaitlyn

Weekly Wrap-Up

As I mentioned in the above letter to my future running self, I picked what was quite possibly the hilliest route within an 8 mile circumference of my house. Without meaning to. There are quite a few times when I have purposely set out to run a demanding course, just to build strength of both the mental and physical kind. Yesterday was not one of those days. I had a pretty hard training week this week and by Sunday, I was looking forward to going long and slow (that's what she said!, Hey-yo!). Unfortunately, I didn't factor in climbing over 1100 ft. of elevation, so by the time I got back to the house, I was pretty much shot. Let's see what the week brought us.

Number of Miles Run: 29.  I can be pretty confident in saying that I don't think I have ever run 29 miles in one week. I am going to consider this to be my new personal best.

Number of Miles Biked: 46.  This, unfortunately is not a personal best. I have biked more miles at one time than I did this entire week, however, seeing as this year is not a half-Ironman year, I don't have to put the hours on my bike that I have in the past, so I am perfectly okay with this number.

Number of Yards Swam: 2300.  Swimming has totally fallen by the wayside this year. If I can get in the pool twice each week, it's a good week. Someone remind me of this when I am lamenting how slow my swim times are after each triathlon, please.


All things considered, this was a great training week for me. I was able to get all of my scheduled bike rides and running in - including two workouts in the rain and a brick. I have two races coming up this month, so it will be a busy couple of training weeks. I do need to get myself into the pool more than once this week, but with limited pool availability and my limited amount of time, it might not work itself out. I just keep telling myself that I am running a marathon this year and some things just have to take precedence.

Check back later this week for both product and beer reviews. I had some delicious adult beverages over the weekend and can't wait to share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment