Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fish Out of Water, and a Belated Weekly Wrap-up

I did it. I finally got in the pool. I officially started tapering on Monday, so now some of my workouts read like this:

5 miles -or- cross train

Seeing as how riding would have been just as hard (if not harder) on my legs than an easy 5 mile run, and three weeks out from my A race (and a marathon, at that) isn't really the time to start trying out new exercise programs, I opted to take this as a sign for me to start working my way back into the pool.

It. Was. Painful.

Seriously. I have done some really spectacularly difficult/exhausting/hard swim workouts, but nothing compared to what this swim felt like this morning. Anyone watching me struggle through the 2000 yard set would think that I am relatively new to swimming. The frequency and duration of the rests I had to take clearly indicate that I am one out-of-swim-shape puppy. However, I did it. And just by getting my ass into the pool and doing something - anything! - I know that it will only get easier.

Even by the end of the set, if you can call it a set considering I really just swam every interval at the same pace, I could tell that my arms were actually remembering how to do this and that my breathing wasn't quite so labored. Maybe by next week I won't look so much like a drowning dolphin trapped in a tuna net for the first couple hundred yards. I'm sure the lifeguard thought more than once that she might have to go in after me.

Weekly Wrap-Up (from last week)

I know this is coming almost half way through this current week, but I figured that a belated wrap up is better than no wrap up at all, and I also gave you some pretty good reading material with my Ragnar recap, so don't go all "what have you done for me lately?" on me.

Obviously, much of last week was geared towards Ragnar on Friday and Saturday, so even though I wasn't quite in a full taper, with 24ish miles looming over my head, I also didn't go super crazy. I did squeeze in a hill workout, which you can read about here if you so desire, as well as a couple of shorter, easy pace runs. I needed fresh legs going into Friday morning.

Friday and Saturday saw me run a total of five times in roughly 24 hours for a little over 26 miles , so when Sunday came around and the 8 miles that I had planned for didn't actually come to fruition, forgive me for not feeling guilty. We had a longish van ride home from Washington D.C., and when I woke up on Sunday morning the first thing through my mind was not, "Let's go run", but rather, "I want bacon". This might have been because, directly after those 26 miles were completed I drank roughly 26 alcoholic beverages, however that's neither here nor there. I was just trying to hydrate.

Total Running Miles: 37. This actually isn't as high of a number as it could have been. I took both Tuesday and Thursday off completely, and then didn't run on Sunday after Ragnar, so what should have really been a 45ish mile week came up a bit short. However, this was offset by the fact that running as much as I did on five separate occasions is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. I would gladly run 26 miles all at once than broken up over multiple legs. Oh wait, I guess that's what that whole marathon thing is about, huh?

Total Miles Driven for Ragnar Washington D.C.: Close to 1,000. It took us about 350 miles to get to Cumberland, MD, plus all the miles that we drove to different exchange points and to cheer on our runner (plus, I had to turn around at least 12 times because we weren't quite sure where to go), and then the drive back to New York from Washington is another 300. That's a lot of miles.

Total Alcoholic Beverages Consumed by Ragnar Teammates: Oof, that's not even a number I want to think about. I would say, "sorry, Mom", but you were in on it, too, so you're just as much of a culprit as the rest of us.

Number of Karaoke Numbers Performed by Ragnar Teammates: No less than three.

Number of Tequila Shots Shanpet Took: 1 1/2.

Number of Times the Word "Shartle" Was Used in a Sentence:  At least 37.

I think that just about does it for the wrap-up. If you haven't yet read the Ragnar Washington D.C. race report, then click here for the review. And next time, get your ass onto a team so that you can say you've done Ragnar, too!

Happy training, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment