Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekly Wrap-Up: The Final Push

That makes it sound like I am in labor, and you know what, I would imagine that having a baby is somewhat similar to this whole marathon training thing. While I have done neither at this stage in my life, I do know that planning to run a marathon and planning to have a baby both seemed absolutely crazy in the past - and now, knowing friends with babies and actually running a marathon in six days, it's not all that crazy after all. (Alright, the baby thing is still crazy. I mean, when did we become old enough to take on the massive priority of raising another human being? Really, some days I can barely take care of myself and I have plants that don't last a month - a baby is wildly optimistic.)

After seventeen weeks, it's finally here: race week. The emails from NYRR are coming fast and frequent at this stage in the game. Last week I hardly ran at all and this week's training plan makes it look like I'm training for a 5k rather than a marathon. But enough about this week - it's barely even started! Let's get on to the wrap-up.

Total Running Miles: 20. Wow, my total number of miles couldn't even legally drink a beer if I took it out to the bar. I will run more miles next Sunday than I did all of last week.

Long Run Mileage: 8. Yep, eight miles was my long run for the week. That's almost not even worth it at this point. I could run eight miles backwards (actually, I probably couldn't because that is hard. And also, I am not really that coordinated.)

This Day In History: Last year, those of us along the East Coast were prepping ourselves for the craziness that would be Hurricane Sandy. As a freaky coincidence, over the weekend in Cornwall (where SJ is from), they were prepping for a storm of epic proportions with crazy wind and rain. Kinda weird!

Also last week, SJ and I had ourselves a DIY party on Saturday and carved ourselves some pumpkins. We figured we had better get on it soon or else we would totally miss the holiday. Seeing as how she is somewhat more artistic than I am (and by "somewhat" I mean "extremely"), SJ was able to free-hand her pumpkin while I resorted to using the old outline trick. Here are the results:

The early stages.


Pumpkin heads.

SJ's pumpkin threw up on the carpet.

Ragnar pumpkin.

It's like a Ragnar billboard.

Ragnar pumpkin and friend!

This week in training is relatively short and quick. I have a few short runs, some time in the pool and a few off days, all culminating in 26.2 miles on Sunday. Naturally, I also have a hella busy week with two days of meetings, SJ and Mary's birthday on Wednesday, dinner out tonight and a black-tie work thing at SJ's school on Friday (which I may or may not be going to as heels two days before M-Day is probably not the smartest thing to do).



No comments:

Post a Comment