Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Halloween Runaround

..is weird. Today I ran for 20:00. I haven't run for that short amount of time since, I dunno, high school? When was it acceptable for me as an athlete to run for twenty minutes and call it a day? And I don't mean run a 5k at max speed and PR in under 20:00  - because that would be awesome. I mean literally just going out and jogging for twenty minutes. I honestly don't remember. It had to be more than ten years ago - wow, actually, ten years ago I was still in college, so check that, it had to be more than fifteen years. Damn, when did I wake up and become that old? Ugh, tangent.

Anyway, so my twenty minute run today was punctuated by seeing all the little rugrats walking around in their costumes. Such cuties. Really, I'm not a super-big Halloween person - I generally take the easiest route possible when making a costume (ie: "hey, I'm a lifeguard!" or "hey, look, I'm a firefighter!" or "hey, look, I'm a lacrosse player!") - but I do enjoy a great handmade costume, so long as I am not the one handmaking it. (Side note to SJ - you will more than likely be in charge of all future spawn costumes, just a head's up.) So seeing all the kids running around in their gear made my twenty-minute run feel like, well, a twenty minute run. I mean, there's not much lower you can go, friends.

So this whole tapering thing has been slightly strange. Two and three mile runs seem like not even worth the effort of getting dressed and going outside. Is it weird that I'm looking forward to Sunday if for no other reason than to run a distance that makes me feel like I'm actually accomplishing something?

After my "run", I came home and got ready to give candy to grabby-handed kids. Being a volunteer firefighter makes costumes readily available - just stick a helmet out and call it a day. I treated myself to a Pumking Beer (by Southern Tier Brewery - highly, highly recommended) and SJ and I split a delicious it's not delivery, it's DiGiorno pizza and you can find us currently sitting on the couch - trying not to fall asleep before 9pm on this Hallows Eve.

Damn, we really are old.

No comments:

Post a Comment