Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Post-Marathon Week

I promise to have a race recap to you all by the end of the week, but seeing as how there is a lot to write about, I didn't want to short change anyone by giving you just a draft. Don't worry though, rather then sitting down with your Early Edition Sunday Times this weekend, you can sit back and relax with my outstanding recap and a cup o' joe.

As you would probably expect, this week thus far has been short on training and high on celebrating. Seeing as how you have all probably seen the spoiler alert, I hit my B goal and qualified for Boston, which means I am still somewhat in a slightly euphoric fog. Knowing I did that helped dull the pain in my aching legs - and anything that wasn't dulled by the BQ was certainly dulled by the beer I consumed post-marathon!

I gave myself a well-deserved rest day on Monday and spent the day relaxing - as best as one can relax when even the thought of moving radiates pain up through their legs. I did some easy stretching and used the stick to roll out some of the pulled up acid. I wasn't quite up to the foam roller and wanted to spare myself the pain of trying to get down on the floor - or the humiliation of being stuck down there when I couldn't get myself back up.

Tuesday I was back at it though and, just to make my life easy, I set up the bike trainer in the living room and hopped on for an easy 40 minute spin. Moving my legs actually felt great - and the easy spin helped flush some of the build-up and I started to feel like I could begin to start walking like a human rather than this guy. Stairs were still not exactly my friend, but at least I could go down them facing the right way, rather than backwards or sideways.

Today I got in a couple thousand yards in the pool, and it's the first day that running doesn't seem too far off - which is good because I have three miles planned for tomorrow and another eight split between the weekend days. Let's see how I'm feeling after those bad boys.

Check back later this week for two new posts: one race recap and one as-yet-to-be-titled "how am I mentally feeling about the marathon now that it's over" post. Should be a couple-a doozies.

Great job to my fellow runners this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment