Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Top Ten List

Don't worry SJ, this isn't a Christmas shopping list - I got you so I have all the gifts that I need. (BARF!!)

The Top 10 Things I Will Miss About Marathon Training

1. Being able to eat as much of anything and everything I could possibly get my hands on without having to worry about calories (not that I worry about calories on the regular, but when you are continually working at a net caloric-deficit you really don't have to).

2. Being able to get away with not having to do anything around the house because "I have to get my long run in" or "I'm too tired."

3. Not having an excuse to miss things that I really don't want to go to. ("Sorry, I can't make it to your Stella & Dot/Tupperware/Avon/Sex Toy party tonight. I have to do hill repeats after work today.")

4. Pouring over the stats and times from my training to see where I can do better and what I did that worked was pretty much a daily ritual.

5. Feeling like a badass. It's hard to not feel like a badass when your usual daily mileage is more than most people run in a week.

5(a). Being able to knock out a half marathon like it's NBD. Half-marathon this weekend? No problem. Gonna need to add some miles on the end though.

6. Finding fun and interesting ways to keep myself occupied on those long 18 and 20 milers. I mean, in reality I find the thought of being stuck alone with my thoughts for hours at a time not the most enticing of things, but please refer to the above number 5 as to why I managed to get things done.

7. Having a plan. Now I'm stuck in some-kind of fitness/workout limbo where I don't necessarily have anything planned so my training is all over the place. Lift today? Sure. Try some yoga? Probably not, but I could if I wanted! Take a nap? Eh, why not?! Really, too many choices make me go crazy. The options are endless.

8. Having a reason to buy new things. Need a new sports bra? Of course I do, I'm training for a marathon. New shoes? Duh, did you see how many miles I put on them this month?! Ohh, I've always wanted to try using a Fuel Belt - might as well try it on my long run!

9. An endless supply of PowerBars, GUs, Shot Blocks, Gatorades and other various running/endurance related products. I know this seems crazy, but really, you can totally stock up on those things when you're at race expos and race-related places and no one really questions you. Take one? I don't think so - more like five!

10. Chocolate milk protein shakes. This is after-workout awesomeness at it's best. It's got everything someone could possibly want and might just be the best thing that has ever happened to me as an endurance athlete. I laugh in the face of your fancy smoothies and juice blenders. Just give me some Hersey's syrup and milk and I've got myself a post-run party.

No comments:

Post a Comment